Wednesday 27 June 2012

Landscape Art

Landscape art is a centuries old art form and one of the most celebrated around today. Almost every Master has painted landscape, and in art's formative period (1600's-1900's)it was one of then only accepted forms of painting. I did my landscape in the style of van Gogh. I used pastel on sugar paper. I took the picture from a photograph of Tuscany my father had taken.
I am very pleased with the way my piece turned out. I created it using very small, intense flicks of the pastel, which is very tiring and time-consuming. It's hard to see, but this piece is in fact A1 size, which is an immense area to cover. I started out by blending and smudging the background colours, which were mostly blue. After this I slowly built up the colours using the flicking technique. I had to be careful to use the right combination of colours to build an overall impression of one colour; for example sulphur yellow, corn yellow and spring green to create the impression of a field in spring. I had to spray it several times with fixative in order to stop the immense amount of pastel rubbing off. All in all I am very pleased with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment