Friday 1 June 2012

Independent Graphics Work - Unit 12

This is my favourite graphics piece I've ever done. I used some advanced techniques and created a beautiful final piece. To begin with I use a picture of a house in Brighton that I'd taken. I decided I was going to create a juxaposition between city and nature. I vanished the sky using the magic eraser tool, and zoomed in to delete the tiniest bits of white sky. Then I started putting flowers over the top in different opacity layers. For example the large lily in the middle is under pin light, but the others are mostly under vivid light. I also decreased the opacity to 75 on each flower. I decided I didn't want the flowers on the sky and wanted them cropped simply to the walls, where they showed up best. Firstly, I outlined the sky using the marquee tool; then, I used a clip mask (by holding the alt button and clicking between the layers) to exclude the flowers from the sky and keep them only on the walls. I thought the floor looked a little funny so I clipped that too, but I now think it may have been better to leave the road. The abrupt contrast between the flowery walls and the sudden change to the gravel road is odd. I washed the whole of the background blue for the sky, but it looked unrealistic, so I used the smudge tool to drag a few pieces of white across, to look like clouds. My favourite part of this piece is the vividly coloured lily, which really stands out. Overall I love the vibrancy and colour of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment