Friday 11 May 2012

Visual Language of Typography

I am looking at how typography gives off a certain mood. For this lesson I will choose five themes and then find typography I think most accurately reflects them.
This typography represents horror. We are used to seeing this type of typography on the face of films such as Saw and 28 Days Later. The blurry letters and the stripy blocks give the impression of the letters blinking in and out of existence... Just as the TV screens in horror films do.
Brush writing has long been associated with love. The effort in producing a long letter written by brush is a real labour of love, and the typeface recalls the characteristically romantic Heian period of Japan. In this period it was fashionable to write small stanzas of poetry to friends, lovers and family. The subtle Japanese could interpret all sorts of meanings in the metaphorical poetry, and elegant brushstrokes were the mark of a true noble.
This typography represents calmness to me. A steady hand is needed to draw the calligraphic letters and someone in the grip of a strong emotion would not manage it. The script reminds me of schoolteacher's hand; a calm, collected young woman who teaches toddlers their letters. Probably in the West and then falls in love with the village blacksmith and lives happily ever after, probably ignoring the advances of a rich young man. Or whatever.
This one is supposed to feel like a machine or a robot. This reminds me of machines because the display on clocks and less developed computers is like this. It is a quite mechanical feel to it; the rigid, formed letters and the segmented pieces don't look as though they are done by hand.
This reminds me of conflict because it looks like army writing, on the side of boxes. I think it would probably remind most people of war because they have seen it in films. The chunkiness of the words reminds me of solidity and impossibility to die. I think it reminds me a lot of the words on the side of tanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment